Posted By: ryan47 treatment options for no insurance/no income? - 09-25-2009 03:49 AM
hello all,
i am new to the forum. i am researching on behalf of my uncle, who has been diagnosed with oral squamous cell carcinoma, well-differentiated, mandible. he has no health insurance and was on unemployment until recently. luckily, friends and contacts have gotten us an appointment with a surgeon at a hospital that may take him in as a charity case, but i'm looking to arrange his post-op chemo and radiation. he hasnt qualified for medicaid in the past. does anyone have any suggestions on how to arrange this? the hospital may or may not take care of it, but it would be easier for him to do chemo/radiation near his home, which is nowhere near the hospital. he lives near the quad cities. any suggestions?
Posted By: EzJim Re: treatment options for no insurance/no income? - 09-25-2009 11:11 AM
Get on the phone and make as many calls as needed. Talk to the social workers at the Centers and maybe you will find him treatments closer to home. Nothing ventured,, nothing gained.
Here in Fl we have County programs that will pay for everything associated with health care for those that qualify under the various programs they have so perhaps there's a similar network up there.

I have helped 2 within the last year get that assistance and both had all their cancer treatments fully paid for. In fact they both also qualified for a program that also gave them $500 in cash to use for medical supplies associated with their breast cancer.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum