Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Even for my FIL recovery from the surgery was not pretty easy. There are more long term effects from the radiation treatment, mostly xerostomia or dry mouth. It is now more than eight years since the surgery and radiation treatment. I think starting the medication for him before radiation treatment began helped minimize the effects of dry mouth which have not been as severe as expected. He had been advised to avoid spicy or acidic foods, toothpicks, mouthwashes containing alcohol, candy, gum, and soda unless they are sugar free, instead he can take natural dry mouth products. Although he does spend a lot of time, much more than he did before, taking care of his teeth and mouth.

Hello all. I am new to group. Had fourth surgery on tongue 20 months ago. The first three came back precancer, the last was cancer. I did not have chemo or radiation.
After this last surgery I have had a horrible time with the feeling of dry mouth. My mouth is not really all that dry, but my tongue swells and I have the feeling of being dehydrated. I drink gallons of liquid a day and have to just stop and sit sometimes to let the swelling of my tongue go down. The ENT seems a bit puzzled and has suggested Biotene, which has helped until recently.
Has anyone else had this difficulty after tongue surgery and have you found anything that helps?

David

marma Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi David,

Sorry you're having this trouble. May I suggest creating a new topic under this forum in relation to your trouble? I suggest this merely because this thread is now buried and a new topic might yield more replies and recognition of the issue.

Just copy this and paste it as a new topic perhaps.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.

I am 27 months post tx and just went for a follow up with my rad doc last week. He showed me the graph that displayed the exact places where the radiation zapped me, as well as the doses. Based on the location of the tumor (left tonsil), my left salivary glands are no longer functioning because they received direct hits and the highest doses. I asked him if my right salivary glands would ever get any better (more watery like they used to be, instead of thick and pasty like they are now). I told him that I keep reading that the glands can improve UP TO two years after rad tx. My doc said that the salivary glands could still improve even AFTER two years. That gave me hope again, because I thought this was as good as it was going to get. I'm still a little doubtful though. I've talked with some people that say their salivary glands have that nice watery feel again, and to others who say that their glands are barely functional or pasty. I guess it just depends on the location and dose of the radiation that each individual gets and on the location of the tumor/s.

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My tongue feels as if it has swollen but it doesn't. It feels like a baloon in there . As for dry mouth , I still have it after aover 2 years. It didn't really get dry until I had the radiation seed implants put in my tongue for those few days. That and phlem seem to be good friends.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916