Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10298 04-26-2007 06:12 AM
OP Offline

I'm headed to MD Anderson for an appointment next Tuesday. I have Base of Tongue level IV, left node involved and it has crossed the mid-line. Several questions:
1) They say the initial consulation will take 5 days. What should I expect from this intial visit? (Note:I have not had a PET or chest CT yet.
2) Those who have started (or finished in the last year) at MD what time frame were or are you there?
3) On your radiation portion did they give you all the radiation you could take or are they pulling back on that now to give you the ability to have another round of radiation if you get another cancer?
4)When they give you your treatment plan how long did it take for them to get started?
5) What was the hardest part of the treatment?

Thanks In Advance,
Dan

#10299 04-26-2007 06:33 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dan,
I can't answer with complete certainty but here goes:
1. Your initial consultation will probably be with a multidisciplinary team, RO, MO, ENT or H&N surgeon, etc.
2. If you need surgery and radiation figure 2-3 weeks recovery from the surgery then 5-7 weeks of radiation. Also plan on several weeks for all of the scans, lab work, tumor board, mask fitting, etc.
3. Radiation is typically between 66 and 70 cGy which is a full dose - they only give it once and don't water it down.
4. Answered in 2.
5. Radiation.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#10300 04-26-2007 06:46 AM

I am so sorry that you have needed to come to this board. I am the caregiver for my husband and we are from Miami. We plan to head home on Tuesday after treatment at MD. I am sorry or paths won't cross, but feel free to email me at any time. This board has been invaluable to me. We came to MD for one day in January 11,after making the rounds to Sloan Kettering and Beth Isreal. We went home to make a decision and decided on MD,returned January 16 and 17 for tests, began weekly flights for chemo January 22 for six weeks of paxitaxol and carboplatin. My husband has base of toungue SCC with two nodes on the same side. He is 56 a non smoker, casual drinker. He went thru chemo fine, Thursdays-Sundays a bit more tired some aches and pains, no nausea. We moved to a great apartment complex 7 minutes from MD March 5 for 30IMRT treatments and weekly Erbitux. The last five days he had a second Proton treatment just to the nodes. Surgeon Dr Weber, Chemo Dr Kies, Radiation Dr Rosenthal. Email me directly if I can be of assistance and I'll send my phone number. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. We had wonderful care here in Houston and as much as we wanted to be home were glad we came here.

social drinker, smoked one cigar a week last three years.
#10301 04-27-2007 01:23 PM

Dan,

My husband was treated at MD from 11-06 to 3-07. We were there for his whole treatment. It took about 4 1/2 months. We had hoped to be able to come home some during his treatment, but for different reasons were not able to do so.

His initial consult took about 10 days though. The extended time was due to a biopsy to look for the primary which was not known at that time but was found to be BOT. He had CT and PET scans on his initial consult. He also saw the MO, Dr. Lippman, and RO, Dr. Chronowsky, during his initial consult.

Once they found the primary, treatment was planned rather quickly. We flew out there for his 10 day initial consult and were able to come home for about 7 days before returning to start his treatment.

Although it is not easy being that far from home, we both feel we made the right decision. I cannot say enough good about MD.

Please feel free to email me also with any questions that I may could be of assistance. I was told about this web site at MD after Garron was in treatment. I have learned more here than anywhere.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Amy C. and Garron

amy cole, caregiver to husband, stage IV BOT, dx 10/06, 2 cyles induction chemo (cisplatin, taxotere, 5FU), 33 IMRT with weekly Erbitux, completed 3/07.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23