Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I was cleaning my mouth 2 days ago. I found a lump on my tongue.
[list]
[*]On the top
[*]About half a centimeter from the tip and side of my tongue
[*]Has a bruised color to it, no whiteness or pinkness associated with it
[*]About half the size of a pea
[*]No associated pain

The weird thing about it is that I only noticed the lump when I manipulated my tongue by folding it downward, causing that area to be the outermost portion of my tongue to the outside of my mouth. This would cause the lump to swell to the half pea size, otherwise it is about the size of a grain of rice.

Here what I'm hoping:
It isn't cancer. I'm hoping it is a bruise or even a blood clot.

Here is why I'm just hoping and I don't know:
I don't have insurance of any kind, I don't have a real job, I'm in major debt to student loans, I don't have enough money to cover me to the end of the year as it is, and I'm single. I am wary of going to a doctor right away because getting a diagnosis is really going to hurt my ability to get insurance. If it is oral cancer I'm going to need prolonged medical and dental coverage that I can afford on my own.

So my question for the board is: Am I in the wrong forum and I'm freaking over the wrong thing or do I need to rob a bank?

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Don't do anything until it is biopsied. And then wait to see if it is positive or negative for OC. But the min thing for now is to relax and keep busy with something.Worrys magnify things way beyond normal at times. And quit making your tongue into funny shapes. The Drs know enough weird shapes to put them in. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

...and even if you put it off for 3 months, it's still a pre-existing condition. Florida has an excellent Medicaid program, while it's not perfect, it's doing a damn fine job helping me pay for my medical expenses. So, no point in putting it off. Go see a doctor or a dentist and have it checked out. The rest will fall into place if you need it.

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Where are you in Florida? Everyone in here says if it doesn't go away in about 2 weeks, then SEE AN ENT or DOCTOR. I know you don't have insurance, but if it is cancer, which chances are for you, it isn't, get it taken care of EARLY and fast. Keep us informed, cuz we are a caring group of folks. Jane (Sarasota)

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Get qualified for Medicaid and then go your your County and get a County Health card and they will pay for everything. If it is diagnosed as cancer come back to me and we'll work on getting you seen at Moffitt on an out of network referral.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Concerned about it,
You say it is on the top. Was that after you folded it?
The other question is what would make you fold your tongue in the first place? (I have a bad sense of humor but still had to ask.)
It could just be the blood vessel on that side of you tongue filling with blood that cannot drain while the tongue is folded. Usually there are two major vascular bundles in the tongue consisting of the artery, vein and nerve called the lingual vascular bundle. It may not appear on the other side due to the fact that we are not bilaterally symetrical. The bundle may be in a slightly different position on one side.
If you are worried about it get a dentist, oral surgeon or ENT to look at it. The cost of an evaluation is small in comparison to the stress and worry you are putting yourself through.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
OP Offline

[quote=AmyK] Florida has an excellent Medicaid program, while it's not perfect, it's doing a damn fine job helping me pay for my medical expenses.[/quote]
[quote=davidcpa]Get qualified for Medicaid and then go your your County and get a County Health card and they will pay for everything.[/quote]

After reading and researching it seems that for most medicade programs, including Florida's, financial need alone is not enough. They seem to only cover the following, none of which describes me.
* Low income families with children
* Children only
* Pregnant women
* Non-citizens with medical emergencies
* Aged and/or disabled individuals not currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

[quote=Lostpassword]Where are you in Florida? Everyone in here says if it doesn't go away in about 2 weeks, then SEE AN ENT or DOCTOR. I know you don't have insurance, but if it is cancer, which chances are for you, it isn't, get it taken care of EARLY and fast. Keep us informed, cuz we are a caring group of folks. Jane (Sarasota) [/quote]
Thanks, Jane. I'm going to school in Palm Beach Co. The more I look into it the more it seems that it isn't OC but I don't want to lull myself into a false sense of security as my Grandmother died of OC of her tongue less than a year ago (the docs seemed to think it was the result of her chewing on her tongue).

[quote=Dr. Mike]Concerned about it,
You say it is on the top. Was that after you folded it?
The other question is what would make you fold your tongue in the first place?[/quote]
The lump is in the tongue slightly towards the upper surface, it only becomes a visible bump when I draw blood into the area, otherwise it is just a tiny dark splotch and I have to feel around a bit to find it. I was doing a routine through cleaning and inspection of my mouth and moving my around quite a bit during.
[quote=Dr. Mike]It could just be the blood vessel on that side of you tongue filling with blood that cannot drain while the tongue is folded. Usually there are two major vascular bundles in the tongue consisting of the artery, vein and nerve called the lingual vascular bundle. It may not appear on the other side due to the fact that we are not bilaterally symetrical. The bundle may be in a slightly different position on one side.[/quote]
I'm also thinking it might be something like this although the condition still exists to a lesser degree even after not moving my tongue for a few hours.

Overall it isn't the diagnosis or even the treatment that concerns me it is being able to pay for it all. I don't have any significant income or available financial support from family and friends. I need to insure that I am taking the right steps so that the life I want to protect doesn't go to ruin as part of the process.

Just as a side note, if I lived in the UK or Canada I wouldn't have these dilemmas.

Concerned about it,
All kidding aside...
You are not in the UK or Canada.
You have a concern that may be detrimental to your overall health. Regardless of who, or for that matter how it is paid for wouldn't you rather have an examination and get a diagnosis in order to find out what the problem is and how it should be treated?
My suggestions in my previous post were just my suggestions and/or opinion on your description of the problem without actually seeing the area.
I really think that having a dentist, ENT, or oral surgeon examine the area would be prudent. Afterall, an examination is inexpensive.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
OP Offline

[quote=Dr. Mike]Concerned about it,
...wouldn't you rather have an examination and get a diagnosis in order to find out what the problem is and how it should be treated?
My suggestions in my previous post were just my suggestions and/or opinion on your description of the problem without actually seeing the area.
I really think that having a dentist, ENT, or oral surgeon examine the area would be prudent. Afterall, an examination is inexpensive.
[/quote]
You're right Mike, I'm not seeking a diagnosis over the internet, unless my symptoms without a doubt were nothing to be concerned about and I doubted that would be the case. What I am trying to do is try to cultivate the best circumstances I can in case of the worst case scenario.

At this point my question would be; is there any particular advantage to attempting to acquire insurance (which I can't afford) or medicaid prior to a proper diagnosis?

Concerned about it,
The million dollar question.
Do you put your future before finances?
Is it more important to look after yourself than to be able to afford to look after yourself?
A double edged sword, if you will...
You could possibly go out and find a medical insurer to provide you with insurance prior to obtaining an opinion on your current situation. You would probably find one. The insurer could however require a medical examination for you to qualify and/or they may require you to pay premiums for 6 months to a year prior to being eligable to recieve benefits and as well any conditions that require treatment during this exclusion period will be exempt from coverage. There are also many other scenarios that could present themself some favorable others unfavorable to you. I do not know the specific laws that pertain to insurance in the U.S. or specific states and cannot offer a valid opinion on same.
The best case, in my opinion, is to have someone examine you for the specific problem and determine the diagnosis.
If this interferes with you getting or being able to recieve insurance in the future is a crap shoot.
It is obviously a question for you to decide and weigh the pros and cons very carefully.
I cannot offer any advice on this decesion as it would not be appropriate even if you were my mother or sister.
All the best in your decision.
Mike

Last edited by Dr. Mike; 08-29-2009 06:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916