Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
EzJim #102602 08-29-2009 07:15 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Pepe and David,

Just want to comment that a clicking or popping sound coming from around your Adam's apple would not be related to a TMJ problem. Not that I know what would be causing that, but constantly checking it by making it happen, will certainly prevent it from going away. This is a common problem with people that have actually have TMJ problems as they move their jaws in unusual ways to make the sounds happen and all they are doing is making it worse.

Pepe,

Certainly no one could diagnose your problem(s) without examing you so it is a good thing that you are going to see the ENT this week.

It appears to me that with your history of the past few months you have developed a cancer phobic situation. I hope that what you are experiencing now turns out to be nothing and I'm pretty confident that it will be nothing. You are going to need to find a way to get out of the mental state that you find yourself in now. That may be more difficult than it seems. You may need to seek professional help. I tell you this because you have a long life ahead of you and this no way to spend your waking hours.

Please let us know what the ENT says this week.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
PepeL Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all for your responses! My problems do feel better in the morning and get worse through the day. Also, I can eat and drink just fine. It actually makes the feeling go away for a little bit.

Oh crap though!!!! I just looked at some stuff on the web.

The right side, in the back of my tongue feels weird. I believe its called the lateral tongue, way in the back on the right side. Well the right side doesn't look like the left side. Its the right side thats been causing me problems. It looks red, and a little more bumpy. I just saw that this is a high risk area for oral cancer. It has a picture too...link: http://www.drstoute.com/procedures/path1.htm

That first image, its kind of what my tongue looks like! And my tongue there has been having the discomfort, fullness, numbness, burning, whatever feeling for a few days.....shit. Mine doesn't look as severe...but still. It looks redder than the same place on the left lateral side.

Please, oh please, oh please tell me that this area can get aggitated by like swallowing too much, or something...anything.....

How could all these symptoms develop in just a few weeks????

Last edited by PepeL; 08-29-2009 08:44 AM.
PepeL #102615 08-29-2009 11:39 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Pepe,

You are kinda going off the deep end here so again calm down and report back to us after the ENT tells you what he thinks the problem is.

As Dr Jerry advised, stop trying to make your mouth click. It's like the guy that complains that his head hurts everytime he slams it into a wall and wants to know how to stop the pain...

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
PepeL Offline OP
OP Offline

Went to the ENT. Did not seem concerned about much of anything. I had a staph infection, a swollen node, and the lump feeling they attributed to some latin term that means basically my neck muscles are really tight, probably due to stress, that creates this feeling.

The ENT put the tube in my nose and looked in and said everything looked normal. They also looked in the front and pressed down on my tongue (I guess to look at the base?) They have me on antibiotics and anti inflammatories now. I go back in 2 weeks and will have an XRay done first so they can look and also discuss anything new.

I do think my lymph node is a little less swollen today. But the popping when I swallow is deffinetly there. Also, I still am getting the sensations in my tongue, mainly back right side, and also a more shooting pain on left center.

So its not throat cancer for sure. My question now, does the ENT also check out the base of your tongue when they look in? I'm only scared (much less too) of "C" being on the base of my tongue causing these sensations in my tongue or a lump pushing around cartilage in my neck making the popping sound. He did not schedule a barium swallow or a node biopsy as he said everything looked normal.

I am teaching myself its probably all just stress/anxiety doing this to me, but they do want to see the XRay to be sure. Sorry I went crazy before; does it sound like the ENT is doing whats necessary?

PepeL #102921 09-03-2009 04:17 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

If he put the tube down through your nose it was able to see the BOT and tonsils pushing down on your tongue was probably to get a different look at your tonsils.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
PepeL Offline OP
OP Offline

So I've been through all my anti inflammatories now and almost done with the antibiotics. Node still feels a little larger than its mate on the left, and my throat still is clicking. My neck doesn't feel as bad though.

Also, I just saw this today. I stuck out my tongue and on the right tonsil, on the bottom of it in its front is a white or grey something. Doesn't look raised. Just a different color. The left tonsil does not have this from what I see. Its an area thats hard to see as its right behind that curtain like tissue between the tonsils and the teeth. Its way at the bottom, and even looks like there may be more to it but the tongue is in the way from completely seeing. Again, fears growing.

I also know though that the antiinflammatories I was given basically shut down the immune system so its possible that an infection or bacteria or something could thrive while thats down. I've read about tonsil stones and tonsillitis, but since its on that right side I've been complaining about it makes me nervous.

I assume though, now I've had 2 ENTs and one GP look in my mouth that they would look for something like this. So either they saw it and dismissed it, or its brand new (and thus benign). Am I wrong here about this white spot? Its not too large, flat, and a kinda irregular shape....almost like a white coating on the tonsil. Should I be concerned?

Last edited by PepeL; 09-10-2009 07:59 AM.
PepeL #103270 09-10-2009 08:24 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Have it checked out if it doesn't resolve itself it a week or two.

David

PepeL Offline OP
OP Offline

actually, going back to ENT tomorrow for follow up to last visit. hopefully will get answer then. Just scared now.

PepeL #103281 09-10-2009 01:42 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Being scared is totally normal, just don't let it control you.

David

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi PepeL...try to calm down. You should feel some comfort that 3 doctors have looked at you and said everything looks good. Take a moment, step back and relax.

Why is it that you thought you had colon and skin cancer this summer? Sounds like you need to try and enjoy your summer instead of worrying.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users