Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101969 08-21-2009 04:25 AM
SeanM Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. My name is Sean, and after visiting the site a few times to gather information, I decided to register and introduce myself. I am a 40 y/o male, active duty Army, recently returned from Iraq in February. I am a non-smoker and occasional social drinker. I was referred to ENT after seeing the docs with what I thought was a very painful cold sore on the right side of my tongue, I was diagnosed with stage 2 SCC. I had surgery last month (partial glossectomy and neck dissection on the right side). I lost a little less than half of my tongue. Pathology showed I had cancer in one of the 16 lymph nodes they removed from my neck. Monday 8/24 I go in to have a PEG and port put in, then I start 6 weeks of rad therapy and 3 chemo sessions (Cisplatin). Being in the Army, I go to Tripler Army Med. Center here in Honolulu, and I can say so far these folks are the best medical folks I have ever dealt with. They have every clinic you could ask for right here. My wife is my caregiver, she is a nurse and has been very supportive and loving through this whole ordeal. We want to make it through this treatment and I want to recover to stay in the Army (22 years and I am not ready to call it quits yet!)
If there are any other military folks that here, I welcome any advice (or advice from anyone else as well!). I am quite nervous because I am being told by everyone this is going to be a very tough treatment. But my wife and I have faith we will get through it.

40 y/o non-smoker, social drinker, diagnosed w/ Stage 2 SCC on R. side of tongue 6/09. Tumor and 16 lymph nodes from R. side of neck removed 7/8/09. Port and Peg tube 8/25/09. Tx: 6 wks. of IMRT and 3 rounds chemo (cisplatin).
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Sean, welcome to OCF.

Thank you for your years of service to this country!!!! My son is soon to become a Marine. Military people are like family just like you will see here in OCF members. We all rally in support of each other and give guidance along the way.

One thing you would want to do now is EAT!!!! Thru the tratment process your sense of taste will change dramatically and it will become difficult to taste and swallow. Just make sure you swallow and do swallowing exercises. Dont be concerned about calories just eat all your favorites and then some.

One big thing is if your have spent time reading here, never forget that everyone is different. We all react differently to treatments, even the location of our oral cancers can be different. Be careful with cisplatin and hearing loss. Thats a very common side effect, I was also very ill. So sick from it that my thrid round was cancelled.

You are fortunate to have your wife by your side thru this. She will need support too at times. Please let her know we have a special tab titled caregivers.

I wish you the very best of luck with your procedure on Monday. The PEG tube can be tricky. I had a difficult time with the bolus and gravity methods of feedings. Even a few formulas made me sick. I am having a major surgery on Monday so will not be around to help you for a while. Just look for my posts about PEG feedings if you run into any difficulty. Ask for a feeding pump.

Getting enough calories and water daily will make a huge difference. Shoot for 3000 calories per day and 48 oz water. Also check out posts from wfc, he got thru this pretty easily. Best of luck with everything smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Sean, this site is going to be one of your lifelines....keep reading, ask questions, let it all out - your wife too...this site will be your diary, but filled with wonderful selfless people who will be here for you always....I've just learnt this myself...
Jeanna

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Sean and welcome
in answer to your question we have our very own resident military member Bob Whyte he is/was a marine and a great great guy.I am sure if you PM him you will get on like a house on fire.

Good Luck with the TX

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Welcome Sean and thanks for protecting our country.

What out for the potential of hearing loss with the Cisplatin. Talk to your MO. I would even suggest that you ask for a pre Tx hearing test to establish a baseline so they/you can blame the Tx if your hearing goes south. They tell you to watch out for ringing in your ear. To me it didn't sound like ringing but more like a very faint buzz and it will come and go and I didn't really pay attention to it until I was at the last part of my Tx and it was to late to stop the Cisplatin.

As Christine said, get as many calories into you now as possible. Gain as much weight as you can. It will never hurt going into the rad/chemo where most of us loose serious pounds.

Do you have any questions at this point?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sean --

Look for posts by Stoj, who is active duty Air Force and was treated in the military health-care system. Bob Whyte is a 21-year Army veteran (that's what he said in his first posting, though his OCF signature ends with "Semper Fi" -- the Marine Corps motto), though I don't think he was on active duty when he was diagnosed.

You can send any OCF member an e-mail or a private message by going to User List at the top of each page and clicking on his or her profile, where you'll find both an e-mail address (if the person chose to include it) and a link to send a private message through the OCF site. You can also find all of his or her posts.

I wish you all the best. It sounds like you have a great support system, both personally and professionally.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.

Welcome, Sean I'm AIR FORCE vet,I also just signed on ocf. Thank you for your service!! Look foward to help anyway Ican. Im 10 days post left nd ,still waiting on pathology. Take care. Brian R

Age-48-Male DX 7/1/09 Primary 1.5 lieson FOM SCCa Surgery 8/11/09 LND waiting on patology report.Wife is Dana'CG'.My name is Brian.9/2/09 Nodes clear no Rad no chemo !!!I will see ENT every 6 weeks for 1 year for follow up.One day at a time!!
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Welcome Sean - As you can see, you have full support here, and THANKS too, for your service to our country. Stay with us through-out your treatment and we'll pull you thru. JaneP : )

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Sorry you wound up here Sean but you fell into great company and support. I am a former Viet Vet. I had 14 years in the Army, then was medically discharged to another life. Anyway, welcome and best of wishes in your treatment and recovery. Kudos to the people treating you. There is just something about people who work in that field that qualifies them for saint status. I am profoundly in awe of anyone who works in the medical field and with challenged children. Stay strong!!

John Retired US Government (DoD)
SCC/BOT discovered neck mass 11/08
Removed neck mass 09/01/09
Final Diagnosis after scoping on 02/08/09
Chemotherapy and Radiation: Paclitaxel and Carboplatin, 8 weeks of chemo (1X weekly) and daily radiation both sides of neck). First treatment 03/02/09
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Sean:
First, I want to thank you for your service for our country.

It's very important to remember that everyone has different experiences. Some have a lot of difficulty with treatment, and some, like myself, have very little trouble. Radiatin and chemo treatments have improved. There are much better nausea and pain medications, and the radiation equipment does a much better job of targeting the tumor and avoiding healthy areas.

It's not a process anyone wants to go through, but you can do it. The first 2 weeks will symptom free, but after that you will probably start feeling the effects of the radiation. You will lose your taste buds and may feel a tremendous fatigue. Most people sleep quite a lot during this period.

Some additional words of advice. Eat, Eat, Eat!!! Eat now because for a while you may lose your appetite and definitely lose your taste buds. It's important to maintain a stable weight throughout treatment, and it also helps with recovery.

You eventually may want to switch to a liquid diet. Some ideas are Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast. I'm sure you doctor also have prescription nutrition. Also, you have a PEG, I suggest using that as a last resort. It's important that you keep exercising your swallowing muscles.

Ringing in your ears and hearing loss is an issue for Cisplatin so watch for problems. But Cisplatin is also very hard on the kidneys so drinks lots, lots of water to help flush it through your system.

As your teatment progress, please keep us posted and ask any questions you may have. Good Luck and God Bless.

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

SeanM Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and I appreciate the thanks for my service. Yes, I have been warned to eat a lot and I am sure trying (not the most positive of reasons to pig out, but hey!) Thanks for the info on the hearing loss ref. the Cisplatin. I had read that with some of the research I have done, along with the importance of hydration and the other advice.

We visited the chemo clinic Friday and sat down with one of the docs and the nurses. They gave us a real good feel for the procedure, side effects, etc. and they are all great so far.

One of the things that I have had a tough time understanding until recently is why I need to do this treatment if there is no visible cancer left in my body (which all the docs stated there isn't). I had a hard time accepting that there could still be unseen cancer in me and this is the best way to try and fight it. I am still a little nervous because they have told us this is about the toughest treatment they do to fight cancer... so I know I ain't gonna be a walk in the park. But again, we have faith and I will get through it. Thanks for your advice and I will keep you posted.

40 y/o non-smoker, social drinker, diagnosed w/ Stage 2 SCC on R. side of tongue 6/09. Tumor and 16 lymph nodes from R. side of neck removed 7/8/09. Port and Peg tube 8/25/09. Tx: 6 wks. of IMRT and 3 rounds chemo (cisplatin).
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Sean

Sorry that you are having to deal with this. The radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatments are used to clean up any bits of the disease that may still be in our body following the surgery. The chemotherapy will go through your system and the radiotherapy is a more targeted treatment probably around your mouth and neck area, where the tumor and lymph nodes were removed from. It can be very overwhelming.

Best wishes with your treatments. I have visited Hawaii many times, you come from a beautiful part of the world.

Karen

Last edited by Karen Rose; 08-23-2009 01:12 AM.

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery

Sean,
First thank you for serving our country. Secondly, you have come to the right place. I do not have a lot go advice for you as I did not have to go through chemo or radiation. Who knows, I may have to later on down the line. There are a lot on here that have been through that and I know that I learn things from their experiences. Good luck with everything.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN