Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101787 08-19-2009 03:50 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Everyone,
I have been a carer to my partner prior to him being diagnosed in March, when he started suffering from severe anxiety attacks that were at the time suspected to be an ear infection. I wish it had just been that. He finished treatment 3 weeks ago, is now bored & very frustrated at the fatigue, but it is slowly sinking in that this is one of the main side effects. I only discovered this site 3 days ago and am amazed at the support & love spread between everyone. I can relate to everyone, and to all members of the 'cancer club' as we call it here, I think you are all so very brave. My heart bleeds at what I read, but being in the same group as the carers, and looking after my beloved knowing that most of you are either going through or have been through the dis-ease, I feel that I already have friends through this site, even though most of you are thousands of miles away. I hope to be back tomorrow, sorry for the time delay!

Jeanna

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Jeanna

welcome to our family.We have quite a few Ozzies here so you won't be short of company.Its funny how we all manage with the different time zones and it means there is always someone on the boards when you need an ear.
Lokk forward to hearing more of your story.
love liz

Last edited by Cookey; 08-19-2009 04:04 AM.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks for making me feel welcome Liz, work gave me 4 weeks compassionate leave and I return next week. I've felt very lonely this past week, especially yesterday & today, so 'the family' have given me inspiration to join. I'm not computer literate and it took me a while to get the courage, have never been in a forum before, but have never lived through hell before either....so really need you guys and hope I can be of support to others in other ways too. Rod seems to be recovering from the treatment really well but tried to mow the lawns on the weekend and subsequently spent the next 2 days sleeping. The sleeping has sometimes been good as it has given me some 'me time', although I spend most of it doing the washing or crying for us. His erratic unintentional verbal abuse has receeded, his skin has healed great, my main concerns are his anxiety levels [and the meds taken which are long term addictive] & getting him to eat again to gain weight which is hard due to no teeth. When these concerns are under control, fear of the unknown & furure will take hold again I'm sure. I feel blessed I have people to hear me now, and someone to talk to. Wish I'd have found the site months ago!

Jeanna

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Jeannna

I'm another proud Aussie on this site and also a care giver. We are currently in treatment, week 6 at Newcastle NSW. This site is wonderful. I couldn't find anything on oral cancer on our own cancer websites but luckily from a post I put on there I was directed to this site. I haven't looked back since. I came onto this site so overwhelmed by the things I needed to know and didn't know. Before long I felt I had a grasp of what to expect from treatment. Make sure you stay on this forum. You will get the much needed support that we all crave.

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jeanna, welcome to OCF. You will find lots of support to help you both get thru this. Even though treatments have finished, the radiation continues to work, making your partner feel lousy. Please remember that if they arent the nicest its due to the treatments being so difficult.

Dont forget take some time for you everyday. Even if its just to sit outside for 10 minutes. Thats 10 minutes that are yours to think about things other than whats right in your face.

We have several wonderful people from Australia on here. Maybe you will be fortunate enough to have someone near you. Ive met many people in my area from OCF and Im very proud to call them my friends. Only a caregiver or patient can understand how this terrible disease affects every aspect of your life. Its like oral cancer is in a seperate catagory due to the sometimes harsh side effects and medical procedures. We also have quite a few that are on facebook too.

Best of luck with the healing process. Your partner should turn around very soon.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks Wendy, I found the direction to this site through the Cancer Council site while looking for answers on just about everything that I couldn't find either. I went to the Peter Mac site where Rod had his treatment to get confirmation for example that suger feeds cancer, but to no avail. The 'Peter Mac @ Home Nurse came today and confirmed it isn't true, which I was relieved at because when he has weetbix in the mornings before his peg feed, I have to put 8 teaspoons on it before he'll eat it!
A lot of people feel abandoned when their treatment is finished, we were told to expect this, but we couldn't have been more relieved. At the end I couldn't sit in the small waiting room where the Rt was taking place because I wanted the noise of the machine out of my head before the last Tx so I wouldn't have nightmares. God knows how our loved ones feel as they are going through it!
It was really important to keep the pain controlled as it stopped other issues, he was on 100mg of MS Contin twice a day which is now down to 80mg x 2. Fatigue, depression & anxiety are 3 big side effects. The 1st 2 weeks after treatment were the worst for Rod, the radiation is still burning, the chemo is still working, but he struggled to understand this. Only now is it sinking in.
My next goal is to start building our 'new normal', the old 'normal' has long gone.
Sorry to waffle, haven't had support like this before, feel like I'm releasing a 6 month diary!
Till next time....

Jeanna - PS - what does 'send a PM mean? Slow on acronyms unless on number plates!

Jeanna
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Chistine, I have been following your journey, I think you are one of the bravest, strongest people I have ever heard of. If only every living person could take a note out of your book. Joining this family is making me stronger again already, I was beginning to weaken, but I cant let that happen, I need to be brave too, and you and everyone here have helped me heaps in the 3 days I have been reading the posts.
I would love to think there is someone from OFC near me, I have lost a 22yr friendship, and have had only 2 people call me in 3 months, not just asking how Rod is but how I am too which is nice. My folks have been my biggest support and how I love them for that, I owe them so much. Rod has 2 adult kids and I'm close to taking out intervention orders on them - say no more! [apart from ignorant and 100 other things on that list...this has been hard on me & really hurt me as it has also hurt Rod. His sisters have called every 3 - 4 weeks. Initially I was calling everyone with updates but have stopped.....is that mean??

Jeanna

Jeanna

Wow, being alone in this battle sure is not easy. Having cancer or another very serious disease canbring out the worst in people. Sometimes it brings out the best. It lets you know who is on your side and who you can count on. People show their true colors when faced with a close friend or relative who is ill.

One thing to remember...from now on...YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!! You will have your own little team of supporters who will pick you up when you need a lift. I couldnt do it without my OCF family. I dont have much family, few friends and have gotten thru this twice by depending on my teenaged son. While helpful, its not the same as having a real caregiver who is an adult.

Try to make the most of every single day and do something nice for yourself. It will help you to be cheerful when you dont want to be. Dont allow Rons demeanor play a part of your moods, take a walk if it becomes too much.

You will discover all the wonderful people here. They will greet you and guide you thru the healing process. Im waiting for Gabe to post to you, hope she is near you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks for your support Christine, my thoughts are with you also...and...I hope I can be here for you as well...
xx

Jeanna

Jenna F,, here is an address of a very funny survivor from Australia. She is my ET " Evil Twin " LOL her email is [email protected] you will find her very easy to talk to like everyone in this site is. She doesn't post much anymore but reads what we others post. Jim

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Christine is my hero too. For sure she is a one of a kind lady that knows how to fight. Christine doesn't talk about herself much, but likes to boost others into being positive.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi and welcome Jeanna,
As you have discovered this is the best place to find information and support for OC.
I myself am a nearly 3 year survivor but from what you have described you and WendyG are travelling a very similar and difficult path at the moment.
The Lyn that Jim has mentioned is also in Melbourne and posts here under the name LynfromOz as well as Karen Rose and Sue G.
Wendy and I are both from NSW as are some friends who post under the name of Tizz and Aussieh.
There are also a few others who post from time to time.
Even though there are a few of us from Downunder the disease is international and even though we are all from different countries we all consider ourselves to be part of a family.
Some of us including Liz, Christine and Jim are also friends on facebook where you can see a little more about us and what we look like.
http://www.facebook.com/oralcancerfoundation .
Am at work writing this and just wanted to say hello for now and as Christine wrote we want to let you know that you are not alone.
Welcome {{{{{hug}}}}}Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Hi and Welcome Jeanna. I am glad you found this site. There are a lot of wonderful people on here. This is my "family." As the people here know what we go through and the emotions that can hit us when we least expect it. Keep us updated on Ron's progress.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thank you all so much for the support you have already shown me & my other. I like it that you all still manage to have a laugh - that is really important. I had to laugh at the person who woke from some sort of surgery & started hallucinating...Rod did the same after his peg was inserted, can't quite remember but something about a wheelbarrow on the ceiling...he told me he had everyone in recovery laughing but was a bit embarrased when he found out what he was like. I went to my chiro this morning & was telling him about this site. I said I felt so much better mentally after coming across this support.

Rod had 4 weetbix this morning for breakfast, I said if he ate it all he only had to have 1 x formular via the peg. He did good. He said he will try & eat something else at lunchtime, I would assume it's very hard for anyone with no teeth. Eating anything is a good thing. His next follow up is on Tuesday next week. I'll be decreasing the MS Contin again tomorrow.

Question - I would have expected the small lymph node to go by now but it hasn't. The large one has decreased in height more than size - is that normal for 3 weeks post Tx?

Jeanna
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

that's great news Jeanna that Rod had weetbix. Every little bit counts. Steve had 1 today plus 4 glasses of icecream so I'm happy with that. Plus he's on 5 cans of 2cal via his peg and his weight is slowly climbing back up. I'll be interested to see what answers you get to your question. Steve also has 2 tumours still showing and we are nearly at the end of treatment. I'm concerned as well but figure treatment continues to work for a bit after it ends so I'm hopeful they will continue to shrink. I will be thinking about you and Rod and wishing you all the luck in the world.

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.

About no tetth. LOL If it can't be gummed to death, trash it. I have been trying to eat for 20 months without chompers. It just doesn't work so great. It's a lot like a Bear trying to not empty out in the woods. LOL hard to do.

"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

LOL Jim, but all he wants for Xmas is a full set of teeth & an eye fillet steak!! Are you going to eventually invest in some chompers yourself? I've heard a lot from my mum about people gumming to death & being fine with it. Rod hates it, think he wishes now he'd looked after his before gtting them all out!!

Thanks for your ET's email add, once I get used to this site, I'll write to her.

J

Jeanna
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

LOL Jim, but all he wants for Xmas is a full set of teeth & an eye fillet steak!! Are you going to eventually invest in some chompers yourself? I've heard a lot from my mum about people gumming to death & being fine with it. Rod hates it, think he wishes now he'd looked after his before gtting them all out!!

Thanks for your ET's email add, once I get used to this site, I'll write to her.

J

Jeanna
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Oops...well, just in case you wanted to read that twice!! smile Note; if I don't laugh once a day, I'll cry inside all day.....you guys rock.....

Jeanna
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics