I helped one of our "employees" without ins get covered by the County medical program. The County would then treat her for free but she had no choice as to who she saw or when they saw her. She had breast cancer and the only doctor they sent her to to get treated was a GYN who worked one day a week, afternoons only. I went with her to her first (and only) visit and he did a pelvic exam on her!!

I called Moffitt and was told they could only see her IF THE COUNTY ALLOWED IT by authorizing an Out of Network Referral but they said that was pretty much impossible to get the County to do. Bottom line, after being a constant squeaky butt wheel the County gave us one and she ended having her surgery and all chemo treatments under Moffitt and still free. From the time Moffitt told us about the Out of Network Referral till her surgery at Moffitt, less than a month had passed.

Point is anything is possible.

BTW for all of you who remember Martha's story, we just went to her 1 year anniversary doctor's visit Monday and all is perfect. She earned her PHD like the rest of us.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.