Hi Liz. I do 100% agree with you. Here in the "states" our doctors will write a script for just about anything without considering the long-term affects and how addictive and dependent the drugs are. I have the opposite problem with my husband. He is currently 8 weeks out of treatments and still in a LOT of pain in his tongue and throat. From day 1 he has refused to take any pain medication besides Tylenol. I work in a hospital and get our prescriptions for next to nothing. I have gotten them filled and he has refused to take them. We have pain patches, Percocet etc. He did take the Zofran until around 3 weeks ago because the nausea was so bad. He is currently trying to eat some soft foods and won't even use the Magic Mouthwash because he said that numbs the taste buds and he can actually taste everything.

More than one person said to me "the doctors did give him anti-depressants didn't they"? Dealing with cancer is going to be depressing and produce "feelings" of despair, anger, sadness etc. Our society does expect a "magic" pill for just about everything.

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2