Patty:
Hello and welcome to OCF. I know you are new so try to take a few minutes and read some important info under the heading "New Posters". It will make it easier to learn how to navigate this site. Please start a new post so others can respond directly to you.

Ive had a PEG tube while going thru treatments. I had so many problems with being able to get proper nutrition. A few times I was admitted to the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration. Along the way I learned some PEG tube tricks. Since your husband has lost so much weight, he should be taking extra cans of formula to try to gain some weight so he feels better.

First trick is getting the right formula. I went thru several before I got one that I could tolerate. If you dont already have a feeding pump machine, ask the doc and get one. I was not able to use the syringe method or gravity feed way either. I could only use the pump. If he is already using it, turn it way down to 20. Another trick is to water down the solution. Use an extra 3/4 can of water per can of liquid feeding formula.

Keep the speed very low and make sure he is propped up with 2 pillows and run the pump overnight. If possible stick a couple think hardcover books under the top of the bed frame to help give more of an incline. That is very very important to prevent aspiration.

After about a week of the slow pump speed and watered down formula, then increase the speed to 40 and cut the water to 1/2 a can extra. Give that several days and increase the speed again, dont cut the water down too much or he will get sick again.

Hope this works as well for your husband as it did for me.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma