I'll give you a slightly happier approach to it all. After my mouth healed up from radiation I could taste fine. It took about a month after treatment ended for everything to taste normal - I lost my sweet taste mostly and everything tasted salty there for a little while. I didn't get mucositis until about half way through week 5 and it lasted about a month from that point. I only have dry mouth at night and I eat whatever I want to - I do drink a lot of water or milk with my meals, but that's because I had half my tongue removed and I hate having the food particles floating around in my mouth. Bleh! I have some edema left in my neck from the combination of radiation and surgery, but it's noticeably gone down in the past week or so as my lymphatic system I guess has opened up some. So, hope this helps. Treatment is awful, but my mind seems to have blocked out the bad parts of it all as I've moved on. Now if only I could get rid of this dadgum bronchitis I'll be doing great!

Hope everything goes well for you.

Stephanie, 23, SCC on the right side of my tongue, surgery on 5-19-08, over half my tongue removed, free flap constructed from my forearm, bilateral neck dissection, one positive node. Radiation (32) and chemo (carboplatin) started on 6-16-08. Recurrence 4/09 in lungs.

**** Stephanie passed away 12.15.09.... RIP our dear friend****