suzanne

One factor in the re-radiation equation is how much radiation you had the first time around and where. in my case, I already had the "maximum" 7200 GY, but my RO did consider (and abandon)the idea of using the "cyber knife" to treat this recurrence since it could be focused not to radiate my jaw nor the bulk of the prior radiation field. But he and the ENT both agreed that the surgery is the way to go here as it appears my cancer is somewhat "radiation resistant".
At the time, I thought that Radiation was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but now I am much more concerned about the aftermath of the glossectomy, mandibulotomy, neck dissection, free flap reconstruction and tracheotomy. You've already sailed through those and I appreciate your posts.
So, let me reassure you that if you need radiation, it is very doable. My entire team (RO, MO, ENT) all felt that the surgery is far more drastic than the radiation and chemo and had hoped to "spare me" from this. It's fear of the unknown that gets to you. Radiation is often used to "mop up" after surgery. I wish I knew why any of us get recurrences but no body except quacks and con artists even pretend to know.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13