I have not postd in quit sometime, so I was debating where to stick this laugh (pun intended, we just don't laugh enough around here.) Anyways, to quickly update everyone. I have made it through both chemo and radiation(barely). Last day of treatment was Dec. 26. My tastebuds are awake and food taste pretty darn good. I am trying to gain some weight, it's not working that well, but I keep eating so sooner or later it will all stick. I lost about 30 lbs with treatment, but didn't have 30lbs to loose. I amdoing great!
I am now scheduled for surgery. I will have a radical bilateral neck dissection on March 2. While I am out the Doc will biospy the back of my throat. If anything comes back hot, it will be removed at that time. That's what's got me freaked out. I will not know what is going on until I wake up. I am trying to get my head around all this buy MAN it sucks. I may or may not have my mandible split. I may or may not wake up and need my PEG forever. I may or may not have to learn how to talk and swallow all over again. I guess others have gone through the samething and have made it. I know I will too. But I freak out everytime I think about counting days, or what I need to bring to the hospital. Nothing like a little panic attach in the middle of the day to stir everything up.
I know I'll be fine.
My RO has examined me, he is very confedent that he has blasted the heck out of it and the cancer is gone. But as he says he is just a man, he is not a biopsy, he could be wrong. My ENT says he is just a good Boy Scout and wants me to also be prepared for everything. And I do want to know best and wrost case but damn this is hard.
I guess I don't really have a question. Other than, how did you all make it through the unknown stuff. I try to stay busy. That does work for a bit. I do have some magic pills (Ativan) precribed because I freaked out over the mask.(seems silly now.) You can't get anything done on Ativan, though! Other than a four hour nap. Jueesh I'm rambling sorry
Anyone have any help for me?
Amy

Last edited by AmyK; 02-20-2009 01:24 PM.

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009