Eating in public isnt an easy thing after OC. It is an acquired skill that we learn thru trial and error. I will go to restaurants and just hope I have a nice waitress who is willing to work with me. My next hope is that there will be something on the menu that I am able to eat. Ususally most waitresses are happy to accomodate my unusual requests. I just explain that I have alot of eating problems so eat a little differently. Talking and eating arent something I can do either, I must concentrate on eating or will choke.

As far as talking goes, I think we hear our misprounced words more easily than someone else would. Sometimes my speech isnt perfect but others dont seem to notice. My job is doing customer service over the phone, so my speech is very important.

We are all our own worst enemies when it comes to the perception of ourselves. After battling oral cancer, having a few leftover annoyances should be easy to overcome.

Charm, if you need any pointers about using the PEG, let me know. I had a hard time adjusting to mine, so Im full of tricks to make it work. Ask for the feeding machine so you can do overnight feedings, its so much easier. You can get alot of yoru nutrition in while you sleep and not have to push so much during the day to get the proper nutrition. When do you get the PEG?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma