I keep forgetting to mention that the Rat Guys (aka the Quack Pack!) are also benefiting from the post-surgery care stuf -- The trach care kit comes with a partially absorbent pad that is intended to set up as a work space on a patient's bed -- Since I don't use the pad, I give it to the rats to put on their sleeping shelf and they really seem to like it, taking a lot of time adjusting it to fit the space, fluffing it up for warmth, etc. -- It gradually deteriorates, so it can go in with the rest of the stuf when I change the cage litter (I put it all in a large plastic bag and will take it to transfer station for deposit on composting pile -- They also have you put shredded paper in brown paper bag and put that on the compost heap).

BTW, major milestone today -- Each of the rats let me pick them up without fuss, carefully watching each other as I did it and then getting treats afterward.

Their personalities are coming out, with RatPhooey, the littlest, seeming to have the most attitude, RatHuey the medium size being a typical male (both are white with beige and dark brown hoods, smooth hair) and RatDewey, the largest, being very laid back and gentle (not a food-grabber like the first two), with a dark brown hood but some rex (curly) fur and whiskers.

RatDewey is definitely Lap Rat material, good for sitting on lap and petting while watching DVDs or whatever.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.