Hi Geri,
At first, yes it took maybe 8-12 hrs for me to kick in, but once you're on it and replacing the patches on schedule, it provides a pretty consistent dose. For me anyhow, at the end of 72 hrs it's not like it's all worn off. I can sometimes feel that it's not full strength any longer, but not completely gone. So if you stick with the schedule it's pretty consistent in my opinion. I know in some cases if the pt. feels the patch is not lasting the full 72 hrs, the doctor will have them replace the patch every 48 hrs instead of going to the next higher dose (they've done that with me on a couple of occasions) but of course you would ONLY do this if directed by your doctor to do so.

Yes I started with 25's, then 50's, then 75's, then 100's. I've had a lot of pain from the 5-FU and the other chemo drugs causing severe mouth sores where I already have significant radiation damage. So the pain gets pretty severe for me and the patch is necessary. It's SOOOO much better than taking Oxycontin every 12 hrs or Oxycodone every 4-6 (again, in my opinion).
-Steve

I thought I'd mention again too just to be clear, when I say you develop the addiction, that's really no different than any of these other narcotics like the Oxycodone (and Oxycontin), etc. If you're on these drugs continually you will get dependent on them over time. It's one of those things they don't really tell you about in the beginning, but even if they did, you'd probably take them anyhow because of the pain, and deal with 'coming down' off them in the future once you're at a spot where you can.

There may be others not crazy about the patch. I don't recall seeing any but they may exist. I'm just telling you my opinion based on my experience with it, and actually being on it right now.

If you have other concerns or questions feel free here on this string or you can shoot me a PM too.

-Steve

Last edited by Steve J.; 01-21-2009 06:32 PM.

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.