My mother was diagnosed with mouth cancer in Sept. 08. They decided to do radiation and chemo. Here is my situation. She has pretty much refused to take care of herself. She started all this at 90lbs and is now down to 77lbs and two days ago they placed a feeding tube. They also had to stop all treatments because of her low white blood cell count. She started staying with me a few days ago so I can get her to the doctor/clinic, etc. My mother was an alcoholic before all this and continues to drink now, she went from beer to now drinking hard liquor. And she is back to smoking, in my house. I am a non-smoker and it really bothers me. Yet she is too weak to walk outside, etc.
She was the type of person to always be early to appointments, etc. always on my case because I was late. Now we NEVER get to her appointments on time, for one reason or another caused by her. I am so frustrated, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?? Any one else dealing with this? I feel like I can't really say anything to her about these things because then I get the "I am going through a lot right now" speech. I am thinking about maybe talking to the social worker at her clinic. Thanks in advance for any advise.

cg to mother Carol, 65, Stage 3-4 Oral Cancer, jaw, tonsil, upper palate. Diagnosed Sept. 5, 2008. 6 weeks (5 days a week) of radiation and 6 weeks (2 days a week) of chemo. NJ tube placed 11/25/08. Treatment ended early due to complications. Mom passed away March 13, 2010 after a long hard fight.