Kendall:

Does your husband have a feeding machine? What method is being used for his feedings? If he doesnt have a machine, ask for one, it will make a huge difference. You can set it and he can do the majority of his feedings overnight while he is sleeping. You can throw in some extra water which will help him with the formula. I suffered so much with several kinds of formulas and couldnt tolerate the gravity method or pushing the formula thru the syringe. The only way I could get my nutrition was the pump which I did overnight. If your husband can take some anti-nasuea meds before his feeding it will be easier. He would feel so much better if his calorie intake was high right now, 3000 calories isnt too much at this point.

One thing you said was positive, that he gets out for walks. Thats really good. Fatigue can be terrible, some days even just getting up to take a shower can wipe out a person's energy. Everyone heals at their own pace and it can take months, not just a few weeks to feel somewhat normal. I went thru sleeping 20 hours a day for a few weeks. It is a gradual process to heal after going thru treatments. Dont let the doctors comment about him not making progress like others worry you too much at this point. Does this doctor deal with many oral cancer patients? Oral cancer is one of the hardest ones to recover from.

As a patient, I know how hard it is to go thru treatments. Once they are over, it was time to rest. Im sure your husband is trying, he just feels lousy right now. Hopefully he will feel better soon.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma