Wilma:

I dont want to scare you so I will start off by saying everybody is different. I was unable to drive at the first week of treatment. The first round of chemo wasnt so bad that hit me about 10 days later. I was already feeling pretty lousy by the time treatments started. I had the peg tube and port placed, had 3 teeth removed and already had a very sore mouth only a couple days before treatment started.

I had no strength to do grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry. I wasnt going to be out in public picking up so many extra germs when my immune system was already so compromised. That isnt even taking into account for the nausea I got just going from the car into the hospital for treatment. A few times I was frantically running looking for a place to puke. Also several times I wasnt strong enough to walk and needed a wheelchair.

If I had to do it again, I would still have gotten the peg tube and port. Both have been very useful to me. The only things I would have done differently are to get more helpers and drink more fluid or put more down the tube. Then I would have avoided being admitted twice to the hospital for dehydration.

Basically you will need help. Anybody who asks what they can do for you, give them a job, now isnt the time to be proud. If you havent already, call the American Cancer Society. They can help to find someone who may be able to transport you to treatments. They will can help pay for medicines as some are very expensive ($100 a pill). Start lining up helpers now so your mind is at ease when you dont feel the best.

Dont forget, everbody isnt the same going thru this. Some people dont get the worst side effects til the last week of treatments.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma