Tom,
I agree with Nelie that women tend to be the ones more apt to tough it out. No broad generalization intended, but in my experience as a nurse, women make far better patients then men. Men express their pain and discomfort better then women do. I was very stoic during my treatment, that's my way as I have a double whammy with being a woman and being of Indian blood. I found it impossible for me to give up my caretaker role and become the needy one! I used on pain medication during my treatments, vicodin, that I would take twice a day. Once after my daily radiation treatment and again when it was time for bed. I have always believed that some people are set up to tolerate pain better, they are more able in some way to control themselves and their reactions to it. I have 7 children, 5 of them natural, nothing (two of them blisfully pain free!) and I didn't so much as whimper once during labor. But there were women in there that SCREAMED througout the entire thing. I found myself able to focus on something else, counting is my mainstay, and it would almost remove me from the pain. I know this sounds strange, odd, all that good stuff. But it's how I deal with bad situations. So handling the physical pain of the conventional radiation I had was the easy part. The emotional part of it was tougher on me, as it affected not only me but all around me. My kids already feared that I was going to die, I made sure I was honest with them and they knew that was a possibility. I absolutely had to do my best to appear as strong as possible. They knew I was sick, they knew I was in pain, but they also saw me keep on pushing to remain as active and normal as possible, so that made them feel better. I never once tried to pretend I wasn't sick, I simply didn't let it define me at that time. I became during that time the same mom they had always had..............just now she was dealing with some stuff that would go away eventually. I found it easier to let my family recognize my physical pain and very difficult to allow them to see my emotional pain. 99% of my fear came from the thought of my children having to deal with my death, and those were not feelings I could share with a 9, 11, 12 year old.
So, I think we need to speak up to the professionlas about the pain, keep it under control. I believe we should allow our family to know we're in pain but not to focus the entire house on it, don't allow the families lives to revolve around our pain.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.