Real men don't cry. Tough guys don't complain. It isn't proper to admit to being in pain, or to admit to any specific physical discomfort. Everyone else seems able to do this without whining - so I won't whine either. Just toughen up and get through this.

(If I told them how bad I really feel, they might not let me finish treatment.)

(I won't tell anyone how I really feel, because it will worry my spouse and family. I can take it.)

(I don't see others complaining. Nobody said this would be easy. If it gets "bad" I'll talk to somebody about it.)

Does any of this sound familiar? Did you (are you) ever say these things to yourself? What DID you say to yourself about pains and symptoms??

"He is amazing. I can't believe he is still on his feet. I never realized how tough (s)he is....."

When is this "toughness" display appropriate and laudable? And when is it foolish??

Just how much truth should you give your doctor? your caregiver? your family? TJ

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.