Hello all,

Yesterday I completed my last treatment of radiation. I am very excited not to have to go to that everyday now. The gave me a list of instruction of things to do post treatment, one was to begin eating and drinking as soon as I can tolerate it. My mouth is still pretty sore, plus been very sick to my stomach the last few days. I am hoping to start to drink some liquids within the next few days. I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what liquids to try first? Also, if I should try to drink with a straw or by spoonful. I am pretty nervous about throwing up what I take down if I just try to drink it, as I have been spitting mucous for the past couple weeks, and haven't really drank anything by mouth.

Also before I attempt drinking by mouth, I was wondering if there are any restrictions on what I put through my PEG tube. Was hoping to get some extra hydration for the next few days, and was planning on attempting (at room temperature). Some juices, possibly Sprite or Gingerale, and was hoping to get some Gatorade in for the extra electrolytes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Last edited by novalty; 03-28-2008 02:08 AM.

Age 27: Diagnosed 11/1/07 with Oral cancer localized in the left side of my tongue & 1 lymph node. Upper Neck Disection Surgery 12/17/07, removed left side of tongue and a few lymph nodes. Post surgery treatment: 30 days Radiation, 4 Treatments of Cisplatin. Completed treatments 3/27/08.