Hi. My name is Denise. I am trying to get as much info as I can. My mom has had a lump in her mouth by her lip for the last 5 years. It would fill up with fluid and she would pop it with her tongue and it would be fine. Her dentist told her not to worry that it was a sebacious cyst and they are very common. Well, not the case. About 2 months ago it started to grow. (Its on the inside of her mouth so I never new any of this). She had a biopsy done and it was cancer. The biopsy reports (it was sent to two labs) say a bunch of different things. The first one says that it is a mucoepidermoid carcinoma of intermediate grade. The other says it is a squamous cell carcinoma with mucinous metaplasia. I just don't know what to think. I have so many questions and a lot of information but I am so scared for her. 5 years is a long time to have something like this. She hasn't done the research I have. She thinks they are going to just cut it out and she'll be on her way. I don't have the heart to tell her what may happen. I'm scared for her and scared for me. I am all she has. I am an only child. I also have 3 small children. I just don't know how I am going to do this. She is my absolute best friend in the whole world and the thought of losing her is too much. But on the same token, I know her and if she is going to end up disfigured she is not going to do anything about this. To make matters worse, today her tooth fell out and she swallowed it. I guess that probably has something to do with this. It's just horrible. If anyone out there has experienced a similar type of cancer, please share your story with me. Any support that I can find will be truly appreciated. Thank you.

CG to Mom. Dx 2/08. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the minor salivary gland in lower lip. Surgery 3/12/08. Margins clear but not clear enough. Surgery scheduled for 4/23/08. Surgery Successful. Clear Margins