I really could use some good advice. I finished my radiation on Sept 27th and returned to work a quick 6 weeks later. I have worked for 10 years in a call center taking incoming calls for a very large nationwide company. I am also covered by a union. When I returned to work, due to fatigue and problems with dry mouth my doctor put me on 1/2 days and no phones. My company put me on a project which keeps me productive.

Now, I am back to work for 2 months and see no real improvements in my health. Im more tired and have had a cold for the whole 2 months. I still can barely eat, and suffer from dry mouth so I dont talk much and always have a water bottle on my desk. My doctor refused to allow me to work full time until I can eat and talk normally without being fatigued. I currently rely on a PEG tube for most of my nutrition. My doctor very roughly estimated at least til June I need to be part time. This has been given to my employer in writing.

Yesterday, I found out that my company is trying to force out anyone who doesnt work full time in their regular job. One person who worked 30 hrs per wk has already been affected by this. Poor man had a heart attack last year and cant work like he did before. His hours were cut back to 20 per week and if he wants to keep his medical benefits, he must pay full price for them. In addition to cutting him back, he can never return to be a full time employee.

Today, I received a letter stating that I have no medical reason to prevent me from working full time at my regular job. My doctors orders were completely ignored. I am also the next one being looked at to have their hours cut. So either way with cut hours and losing medical benefits or doctors orders being ignored, Im in trouble and need some good advice.

Basically, I need help to know if anyone else has ever dealt with something like this before. If its legal to force someone out of their regular job due to medical reasons. My work restrictions are only temporary until Im well enough to do my job, which Im hoping is soon. But with recovering from cancer, this isnt something easy to predict.

Any advice given will be greatly appreciated.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma