Jeff, No I haven't had hyperbaric oxygen. I'm willing to have it if my insurance will cover it. We'll see what the surgeon at Dana Farber says (I have an appointment with her June 1st, that's the earliest I could get in and I'm very impatient right now). Can I ask how long you had all this stuff done after radiation? I'm worried that because things have gone on for so long (because no one noticed the strictures when I had the first modified barium swallow done over 6 months ago), I may have less hope of recovering much swallowing function.

Warren, If I'm recalling right you are getting treated at Sloan-Kettering? My guess is you'll be fine there. It seemed clear from what this speech pathologist said to me that this isn't an inevitable outcome of IMRT, it's an outcome of some types of (less than expert) radiation plans.

Nelie

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"