My brother has not responded to any of the treatments for his Stage IV tongue cancer. He's had the initial surgery, 37 radiation treatments, numerous rounds of chemo (the current being with methatrexate), and even a new pill, tarceva. Nothing has reduced the tumors that are growing on his neck.

For the last several weeks, these neck growths are bleeding continually. He goes for treatment at the end of one week, and each following Monday he has transfusions to replace the blood he has lost. So far he has had three transfusions!

Is this crazy? The oncologist referred him back to the surgeon, who suggested a procedure similiar to angioplasty where he would enter through the groin and try to stop the bleeding (not sure of the specifics). My brother won't even entertain this option, frankly because I think he has given up. He is in so much pain and is extremely weak.

Can anyone give any suggestions what he can do? I never heard of such a thing as bleeding constantly. When asked what's causing it, he's told it's the cancer. Is this typical?

He is waiting to see another doctor at Sloan Kettering, but apparently there is a "process" before going to get a second opinion.

Which is why I'm soliciting suggestions from this knowledgeable group.

Thanks in advance,

Minick