Hi. As Zenda's husband and caregiver, and new to the forum, I'll jump in here briefly and update the discussion to add that we have gone forward with using the Maitake mushroom, in a capsulated form. Who can know for sure? We can't obviously, but are using the mushrooms with the blessings of her chemo oncologist. Not as an alternative to his prescribed therapy, but as an adjunct, with the thought that, if these MAY help to boost the immune system, and MAY be helpful to the white blood cell count, why not include them as a part of her treatment. I might add that we are back-to-nature type people who have used a variety of natural, herbal remedies over the years, so it is not unusual that we looked for possible natural additions to her diet. One of the drugs used with her chemo treatment is itself an extract of the Yew tree. I can say that, after her third chemo treatment, her white blood cell count continues to be good. Certainly there are many "quack" products and ideas being marketed as aids to or cures for cancer. The naturopath with whom we consulted was quick to promote high doses (50 grams daily) of Vitamin C, ozone infusions, and coffee enemas, all of which we found suspect. (As did her oncologist.) But Japanese herbalists have used the Maitake mushrooms for hundreds of years. Who can say? We decided we were willing to give it a try. It may take science a long while yet to determine whether there are any significant benefits to the many, many natural remedies that have been used for generations. We don't have the luxury of waiting for an official study. I'm not recommending the Maitake mushroom, just adding to this discussion to say that given all we've read on the subject, we chose to use them. And we're comfortable with that decision.
Be well.
Grant