When I was taking care of the mail and bills for my son, there were several doctors and even several different departments at the same hospital with separate bills. I had different colored folders for the different doctors, plus a separate folder which contained separate bills (clipped toether) for the same hospital. I finally had to talk to the accountant at the hospital so she could tell me which department was taking care of which bills to straighten it out. I also had a spreadsheet which was Appleworks (very similar to Excel) on which I had different columns for the doctor or hospital department plus date bill was received and date paid, balance due, and name of contact person with phone number. I also had a column for notes so I could remember what the contact person said. Whenever I made changes to the apreadsheet, I dated the spread sheet and sent copies to my son's computer so he could check it out and have all the phone numbers and info for when he took over the task.

A spreadsheet is also good for tracking medications taken, food & liquid intake and outgo, as well as prescriptions, drugstore phone numbers, appointment schedules, etc. I kept a list of appointments on my notes section of my cell phone or iPod so I could check it quickly when making new appointments. Another good thing to do is to learn the names of the secretaries/nurses/interns at the doctors' offices so that when you call you can ask for a particular person as well as office hours, after hours phone numbers.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)