PJ...........You asked about quality of life after facing surgery for tongue cancer and possibly losing a good portion of your tongue. Five years ago I lost over two-thirds of my tongue, had the feeding tube, RAD and chemo and at times didn't think I'd actually survive treatment. I did and I'm so glad I did. The quality of my life is good, but different. I look different, sound different, eat differently and I still fatigue easily. But I am still me. I still enjoy life, laugh with the best of them, and most days I am happy to hop up outta that bed. After losing a large portion of tongue, and fighting the beast called cancer things are different, yet they are much the same---if that makes any sense. You will adjust to your new/different life after cancer. It may take awhile but it will happen. You will be happy to have survived and the rest of living just falls into place. SIncerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!