Posted By: PJ new diagnosis - 08-06-2002 12:57 PM
I am facing possible tongue removal or part because mine is on the base of the tongue. I have read so many posts where they say they can't swallow without choking after having this done and a flap put in. It sounds horrid. To anyone who has had it..is it worth it or are you sacrificing quality? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Packer 66 Re: new diagnosis - 08-06-2002 06:20 PM
No, you aren`t facing quality....I had my whole tongue removed and my quality of life is at anything better.......I appreciate all the little things, like flowers and pets, and children and grandchildren, and every sunrise and sunset........I don`t taste anything anymore, so what........my wife weights 90 pounds, she stopped eating when I did..............we live and love every day..........it is worth it!!!!
Posted By: PJ Re: new diagnosis - 08-07-2002 09:32 AM
Thanks. Going for CAT scan today. Pretty sure it is at least in lymph glands, maybe more. Won't know anything today, of course. But go to Houston with the scans Monday so should know something more then.
Posted By: Donna Re: new diagnosis - 08-08-2002 11:11 AM
PJ...........You asked about quality of life after facing surgery for tongue cancer and possibly losing a good portion of your tongue. Five years ago I lost over two-thirds of my tongue, had the feeding tube, RAD and chemo and at times didn't think I'd actually survive treatment. I did and I'm so glad I did. The quality of my life is good, but different. I look different, sound different, eat differently and I still fatigue easily. But I am still me. I still enjoy life, laugh with the best of them, and most days I am happy to hop up outta that bed. After losing a large portion of tongue, and fighting the beast called cancer things are different, yet they are much the same---if that makes any sense. You will adjust to your new/different life after cancer. It may take awhile but it will happen. You will be happy to have survived and the rest of living just falls into place. SIncerely, Donna
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum