The problem that you are describing isn't mucositis, which is the sores that you get on your tongue and other soft tissues in the mouth and throat. While a different issue, the thick saliva and mucous can keep you coughing all night and day. While this eventually goes away, in the meantime while waiting for it to quit, you can get pretty beat up from all the coughing. I have talked with some who have rented a small aspirator to suction out the stuff, but I don't think they were real happy with the results. What works best is gargling with bicarbonate of soda and salt water. This helps cut the thickness of the stuff and then lets you spit it out. This has to be done every hour or so to actually work. Besides during the day, I got up many times during the night (I was administering pain medication in my tube anyway), and did this as well. It is a tedious process that goes on for weeks and weeks, but I have yet to talk to anyone who hasn

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.