It is such a very individual decision that it's hard to give a pat answer.

When my husband went through his initial treatment in 2002, he conveniently started near the end of the school year (I'm a school psychologist and work 193 days) and finished the week before school started in August. Wasn't that nice of him? smile But, he had more chemo through the fall, and I was able to work from home at that time on paperwork on the days when he seemed to be the shakiest. I also always when with him to doc appts. and took sick leave for that.

With the recurrence this past fall, I took family leave starting the week after Thanksgiving. He did need some assistance from me with driving, but the main support he needed was emotional. And, I needed to be with him more than I would have ever suspected. He's doing very well now as the side-effects from re-treatment were not nearly as severe as during the intial go-round. I intend on returning to work January 3 when school resumes.

That was our situation and some or none of that may apply to you. Just trust in the decision you make and know that some of what needs to be considered in this equation is what YOU need as far as rest and being in the vicinity of your loved one. I do not regret one iota being with my husband during this retreatment but am also ready to get back to work.

Good luck and hope the remainder of your husband's treatment goes smoothly.

Loretta

C/G to husband SCC of right tonsil, Dx 5/02. Tx concurrent rad with Taxol and Cisplatin. Consolidation therapy Cisplatin and 5-FU. Recurrence 9/06, neck dissection 10/06. Tx with twice daily radiation; two in-patient infusions of Cisplatin.