Greetings all...I have already really appreciated the amount of support I have received from this group. My father IL saw the RO today...very well known woman, Sharon Spencer, who is with Univ. of AL in Birmingham...the cancer center there is a comprehensive cancer center, I'm very satisfied. As I have told you, my FIL has been diagnosed with stage IV base of tongue cancer, mets to cervical lymph nodes. I am a social worker, just about all my experience has been hospice/end of life for the last almost 20 years. I wish I had more knowledge about all this diagnosis phase...it's very frustrating. The RO was unable to make a plan of care because we have not yet seen the medical oncologist, who will determine whether he can tolerate chemo. Depending on that eval, the RO makes her plan. She said that without chemo, she would probably want to do twice a day radiation...has anybody had experience with this?
With his teeth...I have shared that it has been recommended that all his teeth be removed by the VA team due to his age and stroke/BP/other meds he has been taking for more than ten years. That was scheduled for next week, now has been postponed, and I'm trying to coordinate the teeth extraction with a PEG placement so he only has to go under anesthesia once.
Bill is so frustrated with all these delays,and I sure don't blame him. He says he can just feel the cancer growing in him. He has an appt with the MO next Thursday,and I can't be there as I'm teaching in a conference in Miami. I'm looking for any suggestions from this group as to what we need to be asking this doc.
Thanks for all your wonderful advice..Wendy