Another view from the husband's/patient's side of things, maybe can shed some light as to why we do the things we do? (But I'm not giving away the "big secret")

Yep, I"m another one not big on taking a lot of pills, no PEG tube, etc. The reasons are probably on a couple of levels.

To me it all means giving in to the idea that I've got some potentially fatal disease, acknowledging my mortality, etc. Second level is that it may even be partially a "macho" thing, not sure. The toughest parts mentally to me are the times when I realize that maybe I'm not all that tough, can't eat this or that food, and have to accept that I'm not the iron man I thought I was.

Yes, I do the Ensure Plus, even though in my mind it's for old people in nursing homes. When the pain in the throat gets too much, I'll take a Panadol, but nothing much stronger, and then deal with what's left.

As far as non-reaction of good news, well, we all knew it would be good news didn't we now. What's the big deal. Again, it's the dealing with our own mortality I think. The news is going to be good and we won't allow for anything different. If it's not good, then we'll deal with that in our own way, some with anger, some with denial still, some just say well, we'll deal with it and get on with it, next issure please.

One could write a book, and probably someone has, about all the mental aspects of it all. Diane, Gwenn, Donna, I recognize a little of my self in all your posts, but if one thing, I'm not shy about yapping about all this, feelings and such in a forum such as this. So, hope my comments can give you some enlightmenment, at lest from my perspective anyway.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.