Hi,
I am new to this site. I am very serious about getting the word out to dentists and doctors about early awareness of oral cancers.
My husband died of tongue cancer on Thanksgiving night or 2005. He was 33 and knew of no syptoms or what to look for. He had a bad ulcer that wouldn't heal only to find out it was stage 4 cancer. I am not on this site to scare anyone but hopefully I can answer any questions you may have about radical neck dissection, flap reconstruction,skin graphs, tongue reconstruction, side effects of treatments after surgery for tongue cancer, etc.
I want to help oral cancer patients in any way possible. If the doctors told us his real prognosis up front, we may have skipped certain treatments and opted for quality of life (what little time Greg had left.)
Everyone on this site, patients and caregivers, seem very strong and courageous. I admire that in you. My husband fought to the end (not that many of you will have to because your prognosis may be better than his) but I commend him for his bravery as well as yours.
Keep up the fight and determination to hear that "cancer-free" verdict. I will try and fight for you on early detection with my Senator (whom I already spoke and a few men at the dental association.) I want people to know that what you and my husband went through is real and can be deforming and debilitating. We need a voice and if any of you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask.
I admire your courage.
Lisa