Hi Angie,
First thing you need to do is contact your city to obtain an Outdoor event and Entertainment application. I am in the process of putting together a walk/marathon in my area and while there are a few hoops to jump through, it's a doable process. Asking for help is the BIGGEST step. Are there many rugby teams in your area?? I contacted all the Allstar cheerleading teams in our area and that right there made my numbers huge. Two of the clubs have over 200 kids each, and there are many,many smaller ones. Add up the $10 registration fee, donations, vendor profits, other sales, and there is a good chunk of money for the OCF. Let me know if I can help in any other way.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.