Posted By: amk813 Oral Cancer walk in Pittsburgh? - 09-19-2004 11:01 AM
My little sister is currently battling oral cancer and I am interested in playing an active role in educating people about and raising money for the OCF. In Pittsburgh, they have all kinds of walks for cancer - ovarian, breast, etc. I do not know of a walk for Oral Cancer.

My sister used to play rugby, and I am in the process of talking to her team about sponsering a benefit - tournament for Oral Cancer, but I'm not sure if it they will be able to do this.

I would really like to organize a walk, but I am usure of where I need to start and who I need to get involved. If anyone can give me some guidance or help, I would really appreciate it. i would like to see that all proceeds go to the OCF. I know they make t-shirts for the other walks and people sponser walkers who participate.

Any advice or help would be greatful.

Thanks,

Angie
Posted By: Marica Re: Oral Cancer walk in Pittsburgh? - 09-19-2004 04:03 PM
Hi Angie
I really cannot help but wanted to wish you luck. We all do what little bit we can.
Thank You!
Marica
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Oral Cancer walk in Pittsburgh? - 09-19-2004 10:25 PM
Angie,

Thats exactly what the OCF needs. However we can raise funds to educate people about this
Bas___d of a diaease. I would think you could hold the event and forward the proceeds to the foundation. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to promote events.

You might want to email Brian Hill and he can offer some advice on raising funds. We are holding the first annual OCF reunion next Friday & Saturday in Las Vegas. Should be a good time.

My hats off to you for wanting to help.

Your Friend, Danny Boy
Posted By: minniea Re: Oral Cancer walk in Pittsburgh? - 09-19-2004 10:42 PM
Hi Angie,
First thing you need to do is contact your city to obtain an Outdoor event and Entertainment application. I am in the process of putting together a walk/marathon in my area and while there are a few hoops to jump through, it's a doable process. Asking for help is the BIGGEST step. Are there many rugby teams in your area?? I contacted all the Allstar cheerleading teams in our area and that right there made my numbers huge. Two of the clubs have over 200 kids each, and there are many,many smaller ones. Add up the $10 registration fee, donations, vendor profits, other sales, and there is a good chunk of money for the OCF. Let me know if I can help in any other way.
Minnie
Posted By: Carol L Re: Oral Cancer walk in Pittsburgh? - 09-20-2004 07:54 AM
Angie and Minnie, please let me know if I can be of any help to you guys, even tho I am in Baltimore, perhaps I can drum up publicity for your events posting fliers or something of that nature and certainly attend.
Angie, how is your sister doing? Her and I had corresponded thru email, please let me know, been wondering about her. Thanks, Carol
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum