Well, I guess we are past "boot camp" now. John's surgery went well{?]. {Home in 6 days-April 26th} working on his garage on the 27th , regardless of the hugh swelling of his face and neck. Did the feeding tube as directed for about 2 weeks and then started to experiment with what he could eat.During the next month, he did not rest or recuperate like he should have. On May 19 we went to have his rad mask fitted and scheduled the 1st IMRT Rad for May 25. John let it be known to all of us that he was perfectly capable of driving himself to these treatments [6 hr drive there and back]and furthermore, he would continue to eat what he wanted. [I had joined OCF the day after he was diagnosed and started reading everything I could and knew better]He has now finished tx #11 and the taste buds are gone, tounge and lips hurt alot,lots of "thick stuff" in his mouth[this is how he describes it].Toothpaste burns, Oral Balance felt awful to him.He is using my aloe plant for the burning sensation on the corners of his mouth. He has felt like this for over a week, yet still refuses to use his PEG. He[or I] cooks something and then discards it becaude he can't eat it.I know that most of you have been where we are now because I am reading as much and as fast as I can here. The info on this forum has educated and prepared me to help John and myself get thru this. But I wish so much that he would be more inclined to educate himself.So now he's at 167 lbs- takes rad 13 next Monday with 17 more to go. It occures to me that this is a "been there-done that" post, like I said, we are out of boot camp now.Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

: