Hi Cindy; My first experience with cancer was 12 years ago, and I remember so well the anxiety that would start about a week before my check-up. I took a little valium those weeks and gradually after about 5 years the appt's were not much of a stress.
I tried to remember that experience this time around. Time just has to get laid down like brick, and gradually you will have a foundation of confidence. One thing that comforts me is that I know the ckeck-up is my ally in this war aginst SCC, so rather than dreading the appt I actually look forward to it. It is a good time to get all those pesky mind niggling questions answered. My recurrance came hard on the heels of the end of the rads. The docs hardly believed that anything could survive those rays...so it is definitely in my favour to keep on getting checked.
I'm not very confident yet, but I know that it will come.
All the best to the two of you making this incredible journey together.
Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.