I had to skip my trays for a while. Are you using a pH neutral flouride? There's always pink magic. Which has various combinations of meds but is usually morphine, lidocaine and some other thing. It is a "swish & spit" and generally should not be swallowed. It should give you about 1/2 hour of relief. The other pain meds should hold down the fort the rest of the time. Using the pain scale of 0-10 (10 being the worst) you should be reporting your pain thresholds every week so they can keep adjusting your pain meds. You will need 3 types of meds - long term opioids, short term, fast acting opioids (for breakthrough pain) and a topical.

Some people have been able to rinse with a solution of saline (1% salt) and baking soda. Personally I couldn't do it - the salt burned too much. Make sure that you floss nightly. Use the braided floss and a babys toothbrush - it's much easier on the gums. Oral hygiene is critical thoughout this. I also used a water pick. There's not much you can do about the taste. Both radiation and chemo affect the taste buds. They will eventually recover.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)