Hearing loss is also pretty common because the eustacian tubes get burned away during radiation and need time to regrow. This will cause a fluid buildup and will diminsh hearing somewhat, much like having a bad cold. It will pass. I had Cisplatin and my hearing actually, eventually improved. Tinnitus is pretty common as well but it too should get better. He should have had at least three hearing tests - one prior to treatment as a baseline, one at the midpoint and one after. Cisplatin has been known to cause permanent hearing loss but that adverse effect is fairly rare.

I took Zanax the entire time I was in treatment and for a time afterwards.

Cancer fatigue is a well known side effect of this type of treatment. When you consider that Harry is suffering from chemical burns, radiation sickness, dehydration, depression and malnutrition much of this is to be expected. My wife tells me that I was delusional during this time also. It's very disconcerting for caregivers to watch us go through this but it is practically a rite of passage. It was an entire year before my energy levels returned to somewhat normal levels.

He's doing pretty well to have only lost 25 lbs. I lost over 60. He'll bounce back but it seems to take a long time. Patience.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)