What a "newbie" I was on March 7 when I began my clinical trial with Erbitux! I finished Erbitux and Docetaxel, my chemo agent on April 22. I will complete radiation April 27 -- just four more treatments. My face absolutely bloomed (due to the Erbitux) with rash, which looks like acne, for about 4 weeks. The other side effect from the Erbitux was dry skin on my fingers and heels which did crack. Aquaphor for my heels and the worst splits on my fingers was effective, and I massaged a sunscreen with SPF 30 into my hands several times each day. I have a bad case of mucositis which wakes me 6-8 times each night: Ultra Soft Puffs with Aloe are the best for mouth clearing. I'm using Biafine RE for my radiation burns and have found it to be effective for soothing and healing. I do have a feeding tube and have maintained my weight. Lost my sweet tooth so I'm probably not taking in as much as I should by mouth to maintain my swallow, but I do drink water and eat ice chips. The "cardboard" food is too much for me to force!

I have come to the Forum frequently to research and to feel that I am not alone on this journey. Thank you for the support, compassion, and practical suggestions you have all provided.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.