Kirk and Michelle: Thank you for your encouragement. I'm a little anxious but ready. I will begin chemo and rad on Monday. No further side effects from the Erbitux at this time, but about 90% of patients do get an acne-like rash on face, chest, back within two weeks so that may be on my agenda.
Michelle: My tongue is still numb on the right side but it has straightened out considerably since the swelling is down. My swallow is much better and with nectars, orange juice with pulp, milkshakes I have no problem. Also doing very well with many foods -- so great to get away from the soft stuff for the time being! My weight is good and I'm in fightin' shape! laugh My speech is a little lispy with "S" because I'm missing a bottom tooth due to the surgery, and if I have phlegm my speech can be a little mushy, but I'm pleased with my recovery and have no problems with communication. I'm seven weeks out from my surgery, so for those with a similar cancer and at the surgery treatment phase there is sunshine ahead. Thanks for asking, Michelle, and I hope you are doing well.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.