Alleluia! We made our last daily trip to UVA yesterday and feel like we have been sprung from jail! Tom is incredibly weak and gray-looking, but happy to be home. Those long drives took a lot out of him.

We are to let him 'cool' for about 2 weeks before a scan, and our appt with the surgeon is on NOv. 11th. The radiation doc said we'd be discussing surgery or the 'wait and see' option (!?)....didn't think we'd have an option from all I've read from all of you!

You would not believe the 'welcome home' we received! Our driveway is about 1/2 mile long.....Tom's company (he owns a landscape contracting co.) came out and put up a huge "FINISH" line, complete with an arch of balloons towards the end of the drive, and then lined the rest of the drive up to the garage with signs and balloons......awesome and overwhelming...! There were huge balloons and "We Love and Miss You" signs in the house..and one of our Mexican laborers planted a big ol' boot with fall plants...really neat. An arch of balloons was above the mantle, even had a huge bouquet of balloons in the bedroom!

What an emotional homecoming. Could hardly take it all in, but the love was wonderful!

I'm off now to take him to the LOCAL doctor for his blood problems. this, as least, is an easy ride!
Love to all of you, and thank you for your terrific support and the wealth of information you have provided. I'll keep you posted on what happens next......
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.