My mom was diagnosed with base of the tounge cancer on June 27th 05. It appeared to be limited to just the primary tumor (2cm)after a scope and a CT Scan but after a PET SCAN they found more cancer in the same side lymph node and a 2nd small tumor on the other side of the tounge.

The oncology team's plan is: 6 weeks 3d radiation 1x a day for 4 weeks 2x a day last 2 weeks. Also conjuctively 6 weeks of chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin & flurocil 5 day drip). The chemo plan was one week on, 2 weeks off. She had her first chemo week on July 25th. She did well for about 4 days then she progressively worsened. Mouth sores, horrible dry mouth to the point of being unable to sleep for more than an hour, terrible pain. On Monday of this week they hospitalized her due to low white counts, a high fever, dehydration, thrush and pain management.

My question is has anyone had this type of treatment and if so what type of reacations did you have? Was a feeding tube used? THe dr. seemed surprised that she got so sick so quickly. My concern is will she be able to handle 5 more of these chemo treatments especially when she gets her double dose of radiation. She is in TX and I am in NY so I feel helpless. Especially since she is so drugged up for pain she can't remember anything.
any advice would be appreciated.
desperate daughter,
Tami

Tami
Mom has Bot scc stage T1/N1= stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05 Cancer free as of Feb 2006