Hi Bill,
I u know this was a difficult decision for you and I'm glad you're comfortable with the decision even though you were hoping for a different outcome.
Dry mouth is no fun, I won't even try to gloss it over. I am two years out and now it doesn't seem so bad, I feel like my saliva is better then it was 6 months ago. I was lucky that one salivary gland on my noncancerous side was spared. Be sure to ask your doctor if that is a possibility for you.
I can eat anything I want to, but choose not to eat some things as it requires to much work. The things I have given up that I used to LOVE is potatoe chips, just to much work BUT alot of that is due to the fact that I am still having many problems with my teeth and do not have a good chewing surface. I suspect that when I get my implants, I will be back to eating my chips. I eat bread alot, and I still make sandwhiches. I eat any type of meat but prefer steak with cheese on it. Pasta is great. As I said, I eat everything and with some of it just take an extra drink in the middle. I do not have huge issues swallowing, although I have noticed a tiny, tiny difference in my swallowing lately when compared to a year ago.
I wish you well with treatment and keep hold of the thought that it will pass and you will survive it and survive it WELL and cancer free.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.