Hi Michael! You may have noted, if you viewed my previous posts, that I participated in a Phase II trial with Erbitux: Surgery followed by chemoradiotherapy plus C225 (Cetuximab). The chemo agent was either cisplatin or docetaxel, and I had docetaxel. Several "very likely" risks associated with Erbitux are also "very likely" with docetaxel including weakness, nausea and/or vomiting, diarrhea: I experienced none of these side effects. Following the loading dose of Erbitux, before chemo and radiation began, I had a minor headache which was relieved by Tylenol. I did have low-grade fever (99-100 degrees) at different times during the six week study and for several weeks after the study. I spiked temperatures of 101 degrees twice during the study and was given antibiotics with no break in treatment. Fever is "very likely" with Erbitux and docetaxel. I was also having concurrent non-IMRT radiation treatments during the six week period. The reactions that I experienced due to Erbitux were dry skin ("very likely") with cracks on the bottoms of my feet (easily treated with Aquaphor) and on my hands (treated with SPF 30 sunscreen multiple times each day). The "very likely" side effect due to Erbitux that I found most disheartening was "localized acne-like skin reactions." I had what appeared to be a bad case of acne on my face and across my back between my shoulders. Nasty to look at but the doctors were very pleased as this was an indication that the Erbitux was working. It "bloomed" about a week after I started Erbitux and new pustules were forming and breaking for five weeks during treatment. I used Cetaphil for cleansing and pure Aloe Vera gel for soothing. My skin is normally rather dry and sensitive. My skin reaction was a Stage 2 with the most severe being a Stage 4. April 18 was my final date with Erbitux and docetaxel. My dry skin healed in about three weeks, and my "pimples" had already started to heal. No permanent scarring is expected and most of the pimple sites have cleared.

On June 15 I had a CT scan as called for in my clinical trial protocol to be given three months after radiation began and the scan was clear. I will have another in August.

Cancer is a very tough teacher. I had done what I could through reading, meditation, joining a support group, being in good physical, mental, and spiritual shape to prepare myself for the potential brutality of treatments. This forum, as you are finding, is a wonderful resource not only for information about medications, treatments, etc. but also to know that others have gone before you and have not only survived but have thrived. Because of the resources that I turned to I believe I tolerated all treatments well. None were easy, nor did I expect them to be, but none were as difficult as they might have been had I not approached them with a "can do, will do" attitude. I hope that you will be able to do the same.

You're in my prayers. Please don't hesitate to stay in touch.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.