Hi Everyone,
Just back from the oncologist. I am the caretaker for my 86 year old Mother who, after surgery for tongue cancer one year ago, was found to have pre-cancerous lesions on the same area of the tongue. The doctor stated that it would require surgery to remove them, but is comfortable with her decision to do nothing and just watch them evey 3 months. There are other health issues such as non-pressure hydrocephalus which gives her more problems (right now) than the pre-cancerous lesions. The Oncologist told me he couldn't predict if they would turn to cancer, it could be never, 3, 2, 1 year or 6 months. He pointed out what would happen if we did nothing and also gave us facts on what could happen if we decide on the tongue surgery. Given other health issues we are of the opinion to leave well enough alone, and I could feel in my gut that the doctor was feeling the same but couldn't suggest this, just confirmed that he was comfortable with our decision to do nothing. The NPH is causing her problems with dementia, balance, incontinence and we are scheduling an appointment with a neurologist for an evaluation. The only solution for this is surgery where shunts are inserted into her skull to drain the excess fluid to another part of her body, and I don't even know if the neurologist would consider her a candidate for this surgery, and if he decides she is, we are undecided as to what we will do given her age and general health. She keeps telling me she is living too long and is tired. Please pray for us that we make the right decision.

Thanks,
Margie

--------
Caregiver to Mother Stg. 1 SCC, Partial glossectomy, resec, floor mouth, L neck dissection, all nodes clear, new pre-cancerous lesions same area.