Hi Susie,
Welcome to the club, I'm sorry you have to be here, but know that you are among friends. My husband Bob is 44yrs old, & has a similar dx to your husband: cancer found June 2004, neck dissection revealed primary source to be at base of tongue, 34 lymph nodes removed with presence of cancer in 2 nodes. He had 35 IMRT treatments from mid Aug-Oct. The radiation made Bob's salivia very thick but didn't stop the salivia flow. For some time he dealt with a very thick mucous that you will read alot about on this site.
In the past I have had accupuncture treatments to aide in recovery from a surgery & am a supporter of "alternative" treatments. I do not know much about accupuncture to combat the effects of radiation. I suggested accupunture to Bob, but he was so tired of being poked & prodded & going to so many dr appointments that for him, he didn't have the energy to see anyone else!

Best of luck in your research. If I could give you one bit of advise....before your husband starts radiation, go out to your favorite restaurants & cook his favorite meals & try to get him to eat as much as he wants while he can still enjoy food!

Good luck & we are here when you need us!

Dx June 18, 2004, neck dissection July 1, 35 radiation txs Aug 18-Oct 7.