Susie,
Welcome to this forum. You can find lots of help/support here as you and your husband go through the treatment process. The jury seems to be still out on the effectiveness of Amifostine.

My husband had it every single day (except the last day - and then only because the nurses insisted on not giving it to him) of his 37 radiation treatments, also to both sides of his neck as well as the area of his primary, his tonsil. The Amifostine made him pretty sick to his stomach, but only for about an hour after. He was also getting chemo, so that may have added to the sickness.

He is now 2 years post treatment and his doctors tell us that they are pleased with the amount of saliva he has - even though he thinks he has terrible dry mouth. I guess that their patients that didn't take the Amifostine tend to have it even worse. So I think he is happy that he went through with it.

As to the cost, I can't quite remember, but know it was very expensive. Our insurance covered it.

Good luck to the both of you. Things will probably get rough at times - but know there is light at the end of the tunnel. My husband is doing great now.

Anita

Husband Dx 12/02 Stage 4 Tonsil Cancer T1N2bM0; surgery, radiation, chemo 1/03 - 4/03.